Sunday, July 6, 2008

Screening Magic

One of my favorite classes to teach is silkscreening. What a tricky medium, let me tell you. I coat all of the screens with photo emulsion before the workshop. I have to be careful and make sure they're all even and perfect for everyone in the class. I always learn something new in this process, and today I learned the hard way that the emulsion starts to activate if it's really warm. The first screen turned out PERFECT! Ten minutes is all it took! The next screen...a nightmare! And the next? I was determined to make these things turn out! My little trick is dabbing emulsion remover over the image and quickly spraying the screen. Everyone left with perfect screens! Yeah! Check out these great photos!








The last photo is Superman!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nichole,
This was a great class. The next weekend my brother decided to add some text to his shirt (saving it from my poor positioning on that huge t-shirt). Some freezer paper and fabric paint...now it says "save the trees" over the crows in the branches."
Are you teaching again anytime soon?
Greetings to your sweet dog too.
Yonna